https://www.omsvibro.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/EdGarbin.jpg 200 200 omsvibro https://www.omsvibro.com/wp-content/uploads/oms-vibro-hammer-logo.png omsvibro2019-09-02 18:29:052022-01-24 11:22:20Interview with Dr Ed Garbin About Ground Improvement
We Asked Dr Ed Garbin About Ground ImprovementYou will read the answers to these questions in this interview:
- What are some of the most common soil improvement techniques, in your experience, used in practice?
- How important are the structural foundations in construction projects?
- What is soil liquefaction? Which kind of risks are involved? What are the solutions?
- Which kind of solution do you suggest to prevent time and money consuming?
- Based on your knowledge and experience, what is the most important issue about soil improvement?
Who is Dr Ed Garbin? Can you tell us about your history with soil improvement? How did you get into this speciality?My first exposure to ground improvement, vibro stone columns to be specific, was in 1998 during my Master’s degree studies. I was working on developing correlations between static load testing and StatNamic load testing of shallow foundations on vibro stone column-improved soils. In order to compare both test methods side-by-side, I started shadowing Hayward Baker on their stone column projects that included load testing. They performed the static tests while my team performed the StatNamic tests. Years later, after completing my Doctoral studies, I became a Chief Engineer with Hayward Baker specializing in ground improvement among other things. Today I own and operate a boutique speciality geostructural design firm, Garbin GeoStructural Group where we do work for many different contractors all over the country. I encourage everyone to follow my company on LinkedIn as you may just see something that can really help you with your project.